Tuesday 22 May 2012

10k? I must be mad

Yesterday I decided to do the Cheshire Race for Life. 10k.  That's 10 whole Kilometres. 6.2 miles. 32808.3 feet. When is it? 2nd September.  How long have I got to turn into some super human amazingly fantastical runner? 14 weeks.  Can it be done? I'm not sure.

I should probably introduce myself.  I'm Katie.  I'm 24.  I've lost 4stone 10.5lbs so far on Slimming World in just under a year.  I'm so near target that I can taste the victory, although it's got bloody hard now.  However now that I'm nearly there, I've decided to start a blog about my journey to get fit.  I've silently read so many weight-loss/fitness blogs as I trundled along losing weight, and they inspired me so much.  I'd love to be able to do that.  Even just one person.
I'm a runner.  Not a good one, not a fast one, just a runner.  I've always done it now and again when I felt like it, but never dedicated myself to it completely.  The time has come, my friends. The time has come. I've got the healthy food down, now I need to add regular exercise. Oh I love running, I do.

Yesterday I went to a local running group for the first time.  I found it on Run England, and it told me it was for beginners....running for 2 mins walking for 2 mins until you can run 2 miles.  Did it turn out like that? No. The two minutes didn't end until I just couldn't run any longer and had to walk.  But in a good way. I ran for miles! OK that's obviously a complete and utter ridiculous lie.  But seriously I ran for so much longer than I thought I could.  I didn't walk for long, and when I did the woman who organises the group showed me how I should be walking to keep the level going.  There was so much encouragement, and I got to go onto the beautiful country park which is so close to my house yet we never visit.  I'll be getting pictures soon. Promise.

I must of easily ran 1.5miles, albeit some of that walking (but no, not much).  The ladies seemed (genuinely) impressed, considering I was technically a 'beginner'.  And I have to admit I was rather impressed too.  When we got back to base I was absolutely exhausted. Face like a beetroot.  But I did it. Proper running with a proper group. GO ME!  There may have been some slight 'whoop whoop'ing when I got back into the car, but I can't possibly comment on that.

When I woke up this morning I fully expected to be unable to walk, and therefore get breakfast, dinner and tea brought to be in bed while I whimpered and whined and rang a bell for service.  But I bounded out of bed (maybe not 'bounded'..), got myself a brew and suddenly remembered my legs should be hurting. They weren't.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not entirely sure.

So off I went to the doctors as planned for a new patient check up, closed my eyes as I got on the scales so it didn't ruin the fantastic surprise for weigh-in on Thursday (not that I understand KG's anyway), whimpered as she measured my height (153cm by the way), then laughed as she told me my BMI was 29 and I could do with losing some weight.  Seriously? Awww come on, lady, I've just lost 4stone 10.5lbs, what more do you want? Oh...more it seems.
Then a trip into town, getting tortured by the smell of hotdogs...mmm.... then a trip into Warrington for some new running....pants? Leggings? Capri's? you get the idea.  All set for Thursday. No excuses. Cant possibly fail when I'll look so good....PAH :)

The countdown begins.  102 days. Tick tock.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I've just become your first follower. Do I get a badge? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You do indeed get a badge, with flashing lights and everything! :)

      Delete